Things to Do in Benson With Kids. Take the family on a little road trip and explore Benson, AZ!
This town is 2.5 hours south of Phoenix and has quite a bit to offer, definitely enough to fill a day and then some. We barely scratched the surface when we visited last fall, so it’s on our return list! Take a look at our top 10 favorites:
- Stop at the visitor’s center for a mural map, and to see the “G” scale model train + drive the train (simulator).
- There are over 30 murals to see downtown! Themes range from the old west, nature, trains, and nearby Kartchner Caverns.
- On that note, the caverns are an absolute must-do! Even littles can go on a cave tour at this state park, and the discovery center is full of hands-on learning.
- Forever Home Donkey Rescue offers relaxed tours of their donkey sanctuary, and a chance to feed these sweet animals.
- The Benson Historical Museum offers a fun look back at local history. Don’t miss the outdoor exhibits with an old train car and stagecoach!
- If you need a place to eat, we highly recommend Wild Dogs! Other places on our list are Mi Casa Mexican Restaurant and Native Grounds for a coffee.
- The City of Benson park is a great place to let the kids play and run around. Bonus: the playground is shaded and there’s a skatepark!
- Double R Guest Ranch offers horseback rides from 1hr beginner trails to full-day excursions. The ranch also offers lodging and other activities for overnight guests.
- Gammons Gulch Movie Set is a living ghost town that offers limited tours of its extensive grounds, also used in movie productions.
- Aliens don’t exist…or do they? Take a tour at The Thing, and you might be convinced that they have been around for centuries on earth. See the mysterious Thing at the end!
- More great things to do around Benson can be found here!