This event isn’t until September, but I have just heard about it and wanted to share it in case you are interested. It’s called Brazilian Day Arizona, and 2014 is their 5th year hosting an event that features live music, dance, performances, education, and hands on activities. They’ll also have lots of activities for kids including crafts, face painting, and demonstrations. The kids corner has arts and balloons, as well.
The festival is a daytime event held annually in September. Most of the activities revolve around music, dance, and martial arts, however they’ll have food, merchandise, and more. Some of the events look amazing, and having been to Brazil once in the past (several years ago) I’m looking forward to attending.
Some of the events they’ll have include:
- Brazilian Copoeira — Martial arts that combines dance, music, and acrobatics
- Afro Brazilian Dance — Includes a mixture of interesting steps developed in Brazil
- Samba Dance — A musical genre originating in Bahia, Brazil
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu — Combat sport and self-defense system
- Kids Corner — Play with Brazilian musical instruments and crafts
- Samba Queen Contest — Dance and performances
- Brazilian Instruments — Try the percussion instruments known to Brazil
- Lots of live music
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts
7380 E. 2nd Street, Scottsdale, Arizona