The Ostrich Festival in Chandler is an annual one-of-a-kind event with a fun mixture of events, shows, rides, vendors and more that has been the pride of Chandler since 1989. The famous Ostrich Festival is returning March 11-13, 2022 and March 17-20, 2022!
Come to Tumbleweed Park in Chandler for this family friendly festival that we personally have been enjoying for years. Enjoy national and local entertainment, stage shows, over 50 midway rides and games, festival good, and interactive activities for all ages. There’s also character meet and greets, upscale arts and crafts, ostrich-themed educational activities, and MORE – including live ostriches!
Please note that clear bags are the only acceptable bag allowed in at the festival this year. We put diapers and wipes and such in a clear ziplock bag and put these in the bottom of the stroller and had no issues.
Here are our top 10 reasons to mark your calendars to attend this festival.
1. It’s good, clean family fun! There is something for everyone, young and old. Take the babies, the teenagers, the grandparents — everyone will find something to make them smile. Plus kids 3 and under are free! We’ve been going since 2016 (minus 2020 and 2021, when it was cancelled) – it’s definitely the highlight of our year.
2. NOTE; sad to say there is no petting zoo for 2022. Hope this comes back next year! The petting zoo was unique and kept our kids occupied for a good 20 minutes. How often do you get to pet a camel? Or see a wallaby up close? You can pay a couple dollars to get a cup of feed to offer the animals too. We also got treated to see day old baby piglets!
3. Why is it called the Ostrich Festival? Here is more history behind ostriches in Arizona. It’s pretty amusing, and getting to see these unique (and intense!) birds up close is something your child will always remember. In 2019 they did away with the ostrich racing, but you can see them from a shaded pen near the petting zoo. It’s an impressive sight!
4. All the food! Seriously, there’s just so much fried goodness, and classics like popcorn and corn dogs, and amazing BBQ. If you’re up for an adventure, try an ostrich burger or jerky, or other exotic meats. Shave ice is our personal favorite.
5. Vendors are not limited to food! You’ll find all sorts of items for sale, from hats to wind chimes and more. Browsing these shops are just as fun for kids as adults. Note that for 2022, most vendors and food are cashless. You will need to load money or link your CC card to your RFID bracelet. More info on the website!
6. For younger kids, it was great to have a separate area of rides and activities they could do without competing with the crowds of the main carnival. When our middle child was two, he was even tall enough to go on a ride with no adult, which made his day! Favorites with our group included the rocking ship, the roller coaster, a water boat, and the classic carousel.
7. If you need a break from the rides, there are some great shows to catch, some under tents which help with the intense sunshine. In the past, you could watch as dogs caught flying frisbees, or see a fun magic performance. Don’t miss the STEM tent! Check the website for this year’s lineup.
8. Kudos to the parking attendants and organization! We’ve been to events where traffic was piled up for hours (no joke!) but parking at the Ostrich Festival was clearly marked, a $10/car fee and attendants were helpful and friendly. This goes a long way in appeal to return. It may get busier on weekends.
9. Concerts are included with the price of admission! Check the schedule for when your favorite group will be performing.
10. Races and shows repeat on an average of 3 times all day. So if you can only make it in the afternoon, you’re guaranteed to see your favorites at least once during your stay. We recommend checking the map and schedule when you first arrive. Our kids did well with alternating shows with rides and snacks.
For more information, check out the official Ostrich Festival website. Dates are March 11-13, 2022 and March 17-20, 2022! Traditionally the festivities are held in mid-March, Friday-Sunday.
The festival takes place at Tumbleweed Park, 2250 S McQueen Rd, Chandler, AZ 85286. Admission is $20/adult, $15/child ages 4-12 (under 4 free), and includes evening concert; ride tickets or wristbands, plus any food purchased are extra.
Check out the YouTube video from our 2018 festival fun: